Zigbee devices work with Apilio

If you have any device that communicates with the rest of your smart devices using zigbee 3.0, you may well be able to use them with Apilio natively via our Tuya and Smart Life integration!

We recently completed the integration with Smart Life (Tuya), so now many Tuya compatible products and brands can connect to your zigbee gateway devices. And interestingly we (well Dan mainly) have found response times to/from zigbee devices are much faster than via WiFi!

And we just :heart: the zigbee devices! They are so cute and friendly:

If you have a device that uses zigbee, like for example a Philipps Hue light, you’ll probably be able to use it natively in Apilio via our Tuya integration. Pretty nifty, right? :sunglasses:

So what is zigbee anyway?

Zigbee is just a communications protocol that our smart devices use to communicate with the rest of the World. Instead of connecting to your WiFi network at home, they communicate with a zigbee local hub that is the one in charge of communicating with the Internet.

Wikipedia has a lot of info if you want to dig deeper

An example: Using Philipps Hue with Apilio

Philipps Hue has zigbee devices available and they will connect to your your tuya compatible hub, and then you can control them from Apilio!

Another example: Lidl smart devices also work with Apilio

Lidl recently launched a new family of smart devices that work using Zigbee. If you have purchased these devices and the hub they need to operate, you’ll also be able to connect them with Tuya and Apilio to add all of these devices to your home routines.

:bulb: Related articles

1 Like

Yes I agree @Anna the zigbee 3.0 devices seem to work well via the Tuya gateways I have tried - good tip!

With regards to Phiipps Hue, smart bulbs seem to work but motion sensors do not… at least I have not been able to connect them to my Zigbee hub.

?? I have been able to connect these Sonoff Z3 PIR sensors just fine?

If you are replying to my comment, please note I am talking about Philips Hue motion sensors.

With regards to Sonoff motion sensors, yes, I bought them and they connect to SmartLife/Apilio without issues but I have sent most of them back to Amazon because they tend to produce a lot of false positives.

Motion is detected when there is no motion, and sometimes the “motion detected” status stays there for almost an hour without any motion at all.

Now I am using these sensors from Perenio, which work fine with Smart Life/Apilio and, so far, no false positives: https://perenio.com/catalog/pecms01-motion-sensor-pecms01

Ah OK thanks. Yes the Hue motion sensors don’t seem quite so open. Does anyone know of any Thread sensors on the market yet?

Thanks to the recent changes the generic zigbee motion sensors now work with Apilio

Never use to :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good feedback @Drivingforce, thank you !

I had hoped that my ball shaped wifi motion sensor would work now as well, but still no good :frowning: