Tuya Thermostatic Radiator Valves

I’m new to both the world of the Smart Home and also to Apilio and IFTTT but have many years programming experience.

I have a typical UK type Central Heating System with an Oil fired Boiler and Radiators in each room. I have recently purchased Tuya Thermostatic Radiator Valve Heads which I am currently controlling via the Smart Life App.

At present I am using a dumb Room Thermostat/ Programmer to control switching on and off the boiler but I would like to be able to control this from the combined status of the 7 valve heads.

The Smart Life app shows, Selected Temperature, Current Temperature and Percentage Valve Opening. Apilio appears to only give me the first two in addition to Child Lock and Mode of which I have no interest at present.

When shown on the Dashboard/Devices incidentally, these temperatures are inflated by a factor of 10 from their actual values.

In order to achieve my goal I either need to be able to access the Percentage Valve Opening or to be able to calculate the difference between the Selected Temperature and Current temperature of each valve and when all these equate to zero to operate a smart switch to turn the boiler off and when it does not equate to zero and the boiler is turned off, to turn it on again.

I would like to know if this is possible in Apilio or whether I need to look in other directions for a solution.

Due to the nature of Smart Life and how manufacturers have coded their products it can become difficult for companies like Apilio to display all functionality from Smart life correctly so purchasing products can be hit an miss for completability, which hopefully will change with the new standard matter coming out next year. In the mean time all is not lost as @Anna says here New in Apilio: now with more Tuya devices supported!
Now Smart Life are working closely with Home Assistant compatibility issues will improve.
I’m sure if you use the web app and submit a request the team will take a look in case it is an easy fix @pebneter

Which Tuya Thermostat radiator valve did you go for?

1 Like

Great idea and question!! :+1:

As @Drivingforce mentioned correctly, we can only work with what Tuya provides through the public API.
In your case, apparently not all status data is shared via API :unamused:
To implement your workaround, you will need a feature that is not yet implemented but one of the next improvements we are tackling. Currently you can compare Tuya data only with static values - so no way to compare the two temperatures coming from the device for now.

The scaling of the numbers is also on the very short list, so you’d see a nice value display.

To summarise: You might be able to implement your use case in a couple of weeks with Apilio, but we are not there yet.

2 Likes

Thank you for your replies

Does this mean that although some values are available within the Smart Life App, that these values are not shared with all 3rd Party Developers?

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately, though this has improved over time

1 Like

In order to complete this thread for now …

It has been indicated that Tuya do not make the Valve Status available in the API but…

I believe I have found a workaround for for the time being which will enable me to use Apilio as the core of my automation now and in the future.

In my initial statement I said that the value of the Child Lock status was of no concern to me. I have found that in a Smart Life Automation that I can test the value of Valve Status for being either 0 (fully closed) or greater than zero (partially or fully open) and setting the Child Lock on the valve or releasing it accordingly. A Condition in Apilio Web App then tests the Child Lock status for all valves in a simple AND condition, the positive action for which, is to turn the boiler off and the negative is to turn the boiler on.

I have tested this using a lamp connected to my smart switch and it appears to work smoothly.

1 Like

Can you share the brand and model of the thermostat?

Peter, I bought it as Unbranded but research shows an identical item available on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/SKTE-Temperature-Controller-Constant-Thermostatic/dp/B08ZS6SW9X/ref=sr_1_151?crid=20IK6SHHDEBAK&dchild=1&keywords=smart+thermostatic+radiator+valve&qid=1631289161&sprefix=smart+thermostat%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-151

1 Like