Webhooks with Life360?

Has anyone figured out how to used webhooks with Life 360, to control boolean variables when arriving and leaving? Want to cut IFTTT out of the middle and just use Life360, Apilio and Tuya. Thanks.

1 Like

Is Life360 back on IFTTT?
I have not used the app, so I have no idea if it offers webhooks.
An alternative could be to use another geofencing app. We like these two:

We also have a more comprehensive article for presence-based automation: Presence awareness for families - Part I: knowing who is at home

1 Like

GeoFencer works super-reliably on Android. Would highly recommend and updates Apilio variables directly via webhooks.

1 Like

I seem to have a lot of trouble getting geofence apps to work reliably. I am on iPhone located in central US (flyover state :frowning: ).

I am currently using the native geofence capability in SmartLife to control an outlet, which then controls an Apilio Condition, which ultimately manages the status of a variable. I have just started using Locative to control the same Apilio variable, figuring rather have it set twice than not at all.

So far it has been hit or miss. Sometimes both SmartLife and Locative see me trip the fence, sometimes one but not the other, usually neither sees me. Used to use Life360 when it tied into IFTTT, and found it to be the most reliable, however IFTTT was slow or never in responding to Life360, so stopped. If no Life360 webhooks, then that is not an option. I will try GeoFencer.

1 Like

Check the native Home app in iPhone > Automation tab, which in my experience is much more reliable than any third party app.

You can define triggers when you (or someone in your family) enter/exit home, when the first person arrives home or when the last person leaves home. Actions can be a URL, so you can trigger Apilio logicblocks via webhooks.

1 Like

Don’t you have to use the Apple Shortcuts app for that?

1 Like

Problem with shortcuts is that geofences require confirmation by the user before any execution.

With Home, you can define triggers related to entering/exiting home (not any other location) for any member of your family using an iPhone, and those actions are executed automatically and silently in the background. Actions can be an action over a HomeKit device or a shortcut.

Those conditions are only defined once in the Home App for any member of your family, as they run “in the cloud”… you don’t need to set up every condition in each individual iPhone.

1 Like

Thanks - is that something new? I wasn’t aware of this feature!

1 Like

It’s been there for a long time.

I started using it with iOS 15 broke many geofencing apps, as Home app kept working.

If your family has iPhones, the good thing is that it already has the conditions ‘first person arrives’ or ‘last person leaves’, so it makes your life easier. My son has an Android, so I still use Apilio variables to keep track of who is at home.

1 Like