Smartthings Zigbee

With the lock down i have been looking at Home Assistant as an offline automation system for my home. (interesting but the logic is not as easy to follow as Apilio) And I don’t have enough smart gear in my home that runs locally. But it did have some interesting features as i did have it connected directly to Smartthings.
The one thing I liked was it continually monitored the the different connected devices to Smart things like motion sensors and light sensor. So if it missed the trigger for what ever reason (normally applet in IFTTT failing) it still knew it had to fire as it was with in the perimeter to fire IE between 0-30 lux. My Apilio equivalent is Under 30 lux set apilio Boolean value to true. the problem is in IFTTT it will only fire once if it falls below 30. So if there is a problem IFTTT wont change the boolean value.

I know i have been championing Google assistant but I believe i have am wrong. I should have been champion a direct link between Apilio and smart things as this gives i believe a much stabler link, quicker response times and direct access to Zigbee equipment.

As you may know Smartthings also talks to Lifx and Hue

I’m not a coder so not sure how easy/hard a direct link to Smartthings

1 Like

Big thumbs up from me on this one - I agree SmartThings is a helpful platform but I just don’t love the idea of a local hub for anything, despite how useful it is for local monitoring. It’s on the development wish-list anyway @Drivingforce!

1 Like

I agree, I don’t like hubs that’s why i prefer WiFi connected devices like Lifx and smart life, but Smartthings is legacy for me so i use it as i cannot find a decent motion sensor that runs on WiFi. I do have one on smartlife, works fine within its own eco system but not very well via IFTTT
Any suggestion?

One system that I have considered buying myself is https://www.minut.com/ (but they dropped IFTTT support unfortunately).
Currently I have https://wirelesstag.net/, which do require a (cheap) hub, but have a good integration with IFTTT.

1 Like

Thanks, had a look at wirelesstag, basically smarthings but cheaper. to purchase extra modules etc. Could i make the switch and when i sale the smartthings hub and associated equipment would i make the money up :slight_smile:. Or continue just adding to Smart life until it will take over. (maybe another integration to look at as they are expanding rapidly)

1 Like