Smart life pir sensor

I’m using a Smart Life pir motion detector that sends event each time he detects movement. Using ifttt to set a string variable with the device name from the smart life event. There are a lot of empty events and from time to time an event with the device name appears. My condition checks if the string variable contains the exact deceive name for at least 1800 seconds. The logic block negative result creates a Google calendar event to turn off the light. I wonder if my scenario is correct?

1 Like

Hi @mm3046,
don’t see anything wrong in what you have written, but to fully understand your goal, can you share some real-life context?
Also, why the calendar entry? Is that to remind you to turn off the light manually?

The calendar entry is for several ifttt applets that shut off all connected light devices.

Real life context…
Lighting control for shabbat and holidays.

I guess you could also create a boolean variable for each sensor and track them individually, and when all have not been updated for 1800 seconds, you would know that the lights can be turned off, no?

1. I have only one sensor.
  2. For each of the sonoff lights I have individual ifttt applet that acts upon Google calendar event “LightsOn” or “LightsOff”.
  3. I still struggle with the PIR sensor because it sends event for each person detection but IFTTT gets it each 90 seconds.

You can trigger many applets directly from Apilio, so you maybe you can save going through the Google Calendar.
The last point I do not get yet. Does the sensor also send an event after a certain timeout (when nobody is detected for some time) or does it only send event when somebody is detected?

The Tuya / Smart Life PIR sensors have caused me nothing but grief. I have now have three different ‘brands’, Neo, BrilliantSmart and Connect SmartHome. I can’t get any of them to communicate with IFTTT with any reliability. I don’t really understand what you are trying to achieve, but if you’d like to explain it a bit more, I’d be happy to try and replicate it? See if I can’t get it to work?

The sensor send event only when a person is detected. My problem is that this event trigger the IFTTT applet only once in approximately 90 minutes instead of every single real event. I tried to get help from smart life and they sent me to ifttt which doesn’t respond. I wonder if apilio may have a direct solution for using this sensor instead of using ifttt.

I feel your pain as i have the same issue with motion sensors. Not sure if it is the same for door sensors, and I was hoping the that Apilio would come to our assistance. When Tuya returned to IFTTT they stopped the integration,after successfully integrating the lights, plugs and basic light switches. (If the switch has more then one 1 gang Apilio only sees the whole “switch” not the gangs). Unfortunately they had not integrated the inputs from door light or motion sensors.
I’m hoping that once they have finished this round of improvements of Apilio they will consider looking at finishing the direct integration of Tuya and other IOT services so it will give people another option over IFFFT

1 Like

Hi there,
thanks for sharing your issues here!
We did indeed a lot of backend work in our app but will return to look at integrations again.

2 Likes

and this is why motion detection on Smartlife via IFTTT will not work as quick as we wish
https://prnt.sc/uqs98h :frowning:

1 Like

Isn’t that information about the polling interval shown on all connections?
IFTTT knows two ways to integrate - polling and realtime. If Tuya is really integrated via polling than it would be obvious that response times will be slow.

1 Like

The smart life application log shows exactly the time when person is detected but IFTTT gets it 90 minutes later. I believe smart life is working in real time.

1 Like

That sounds like Tuya<->IFTTT is either not integrated with the realtime version or there are some technical issues (on one or the other side).

1 Like

My question is is there a chance the apilio.io would come out with something like ifttt and that will conclude this ifttt<>devices issues.

1 Like

Hi @mm3046,
yes, we plan to finish our integration with Tuya and make it bi-directional.

1 Like

This Wil be excellent. Thanks.
(BTW, my name is Moti)

2 Likes