Samsung’s SmartThings can finally control your Google Nest devices

This is interesting, I was trying to move away from smartthings but if they start picking up your presence at home from Google then I may have to change my approach

1 Like

Interesting, thanks @Drivingforce for pointing this out!

I doubt that SmartThings will be able to access the “someone home” information from the Google Assistant.
At least in the official documentation it looks like you can get only information that is tied to the Nest branded devices: https://developers.google.com/nest/device-access/traits
But of course that can change or SmartThings has access to another API.

1 Like

I have actually been thinking this through. I have not moved my nest products over to Google’s SSO as it breaks connectivity with IFTTT. Which would prevent me from controlling my thermostat etc. Now they are connecting through smart things I can keep control and move my products over to google. It will then allow me to try an idea out and my favourite subject location service. I have already had success using a device on Tuya and Tuya location services :wink: but it revolves around me. The next test is with google home away presence sensing more info and Tuya

1 Like

This link is now live, the only draw back is the Nest devices do not show up in the IFTTT integration with smartthings… yet I’m hoping that will change then i can control my nest thermostat via IFTTT and smartthings

1 Like

I guess you can only control Google Nest devices, not any device that is connected to Google Home?

Correct though only my thermostat and Nest Camera show up in Smartthings. My smoke detectors are not showing up. I was hoping to see the Nest products show up on Smartthings IFTTT so I could control from Apilio

1 Like