Nest Thermostat comes to IFTTT

How long did that take, but late for me as I have moved away from central heating to infrared heating room by room.

https://ifttt.com/google_nest_thermostat

1 Like

Yeah, I am about to try it again but would be fascinated to hear how your IR heating goes! How much do you think you will save $$$?

The projected started more as reducing carbon, but if I have it set up right i should see my gas bill staying as summer spending so ÂŁ10 a month, electric i expect to jump up but no more than if i had gas central heating. I am still in a fixed tariff from 18 months ago so it will be a interesting comparison from last winter.

Primary reason for IR panels is the instant direct heat when they turn on. Like walking out from the shade into the sun on a cold day.

Think this is what will cause my biggest saving instant warmth so i can keep the unoccupied rooms at 9c . Once someone enters the panel will switch on using motion sensors. then have one of these sensors so if the person is reading and not moving around a lot the heating stays on. and with trail and error set the upper room temperature. Did manage to set the temperature on my test panel to 16c and my wife was happy

2 Likes

Nice presence sensor, thanks! I read about the technology but it was on another platform. Seeing it on Tuya is great addition.
It’s quite a big box btw (10x10x3.5cm)

1 Like

Yes

From reading around these sensors are great at maintaining “presence” but first detection is not very good so some have still kept a motion sensor in the room for a faster response.
This one gets Aqara better feedback. Is a bit expensive. And both need a constant power supply as the sensor consumes to much energy for a battery set up

Video

1 Like

Too little, too late. The IFTTT integration for Nest is pitifully limited–you can’t even set the temperature! In contrast, you can get Alexa to do a variety of things with your Nest including setting the temperature and switching between heat mode and eco mode. Setting the Nest to eco mode when nobody is there is something I find extremely useful, and I therefore resort to using IFTTT to send a command string to Alexa in order to implement this (I use Apilio to get IFTTT to ask Voice Monkey to send a command that implements “Alexa, set the XXXX to eco mode”). Reset heating is done by an equivalent command that implements “Alexa, set the XXXX to heat mode”.

3 Likes

I use to have the legacy version which was a whole lot better.

1 Like

Ingenious, I just love this! Thanks for sharing.

After spending too much time changing out rechargeable 2450 batteries on the Sonoff PIR sensors I think this is they way to go. You have “inspired” (perhaps shamed more like) me to switch to powered human presence detectors. I think my partner will be a lot happier as she does really appreciate the automated lighting! I have some friends who have bought the integrated sensor and light systems but I just don’t find them flexible enough. Although perhaps I just need to tinker too much.

1 Like

Let me know how you get on, I have not invested in presence sensors yet plenty of research, I have a light in each room that flashes red after 29 minutes after no detected movement to give people chance to move around and activate the PIR. They lose the TV and computer as well as the lights if the don’t :rofl:

1 Like

Indeed! I hope this is going to be expanded. Currently, there are only triggers, but no actions: https://ifttt.com/google_nest_thermostat/details. Not very interesting.

1 Like

OMG that’s pretty draconian, LOVE IT - I would be soooo divorced by now if I went that far… :rofl:

the flashing red light was a compromise, to be fair my kids move around enough to prevent a time out :rofl:
Though it Urkes me that I have to wait 30 minutes after someone stopped moving or left the room before the room shut down. Thats why I like the idea of presence sensors. 5 minutes after last detection turn off room

1 Like

Soooo the Aqara presence sensor arrived but it only works with Homekit (OMFG) so am now battling AliExpress to return…not holding out much hope…so you may get to try one @Drivingforce !

I assume it does not work with Tuya zigbee3 hub then. That sucks, did you get any luck with AliExpress

1 Like

“I assume it does not work with Tuya zigbee3 hub then” yeah exactly. I am grrrring grrrr about the whole thing. AliEx is so obfuscatory…

So even though it’s ZigBee 3 they have locked you it unless you use their own hub, bit like what Philips Hue.

1 Like

Yes, I have had the same experience with a Xiaomi light sensor and a Aquara product. Both Zigbee3, both wouldn’t pair with the Tuya hub.

1 Like

OK so rather surprisingly the selling shop didn’t respond to my AliEx dispute so I now have 4 x Aqara FP1s (that work with HomeKit and Aqara Hub only it seems). First four people to DM me (with their address and phone) can have one each.

2 Likes

OK so have just tried to use this and got the following message…so I can only actually use Nest as a trigger for a temperature between 9 and 32 degrees C. How bonkers crazy is that???

1 Like