IP Addresses for originating webhook calls

Hello! I have a setup whereby I’m using Homebridge with a reverse Webhook to activate a virtual switch, which in turn tell an accessory in Homekit to turn on/off. For this setup, i will need to expose a port in homebridge to the internet (which is something I’m very hesitant to do so). So I’m using a firewall to allow only a particular range of IP addresses (originating from the source of the initiating Webhook call).

I am using IFTTT to initiate this webhook, but the thing is, the originating IP addresses kept changing! I have traced almost 30+ IP addresses over a few days. Seems challenging to isolate the addresses.

I’m just wondering, would Apilio have a defined set of IPs or a fixed range of IPs that i can use to allow on my firewall for this purpose.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @wookiebao ,
we are hosting at Heroku and don’t have a fixed IP address. As Heroku is itself hosted an AWS, you’d have to allow a huge range.
Is this a scenario where you need a fast response? If not, you could poll our API, e.g. every 5 seconds.

1 Like

ah i see. Ok.guess will need to find an alternative then :sweat_smile:
API will not be applicable in my case. Because the webhook origin need to come from an external source, i.e IFTTT or some curl running somewhere and the endpoint is my own homebridge server hosted at home.

1 Like

If many users see this as a valuable feature, we could actually implement it and make it available in the top plans. It requires an extra proxy service, which would provide a fixed IP address.

1 Like