Google I/O is in 12 days: anyone joining some of the IoT/Smart Home sessions?

Google I/O, the annual developer conference, is happening in a couple of weeks!

There is an IoT/Smart home track: https://events.google.com/io/program/content?4=topic_smarthomeiot&lng=en

I’m also interested in the Google Assistant track and others!

Anyone planning on attending some of these? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use to get excited about googles I/O but no longer. I may catch up with Accessibility see if there is anything on the road made to help people on the Autistic spectrum, and also google maps, great location based service if they ever allow the API to be used. My thinking is family etc my whole family shares their location with each other on google maps, imagine using that to fire routines at home outside googles ecosphere. And I don’t have to worry about my home turning all the lights and heating off if I have family members other than my immediate family at home.

2 Likes

Yes @Drivingforce I am totally in alignment with your views on Google. Such a disappointment after how open it appeared to be with the technologies it provided.

1 Like

I’ll keep an eye out for those accessibility projects too :+1:

1 Like

Unfortunately I missed this, I see the media is focusing on changes to Android, but I have seen very little about smart home or accessibility ideas. I have not the time to go through the different videos

1 Like

I am liking the merging of Google Wear and Tizen though. (I think) a great shout by both companies.

1 Like

Yes agreed, looks like my new purchase early next year :grinning:

2 Likes

Yet still no API that allows people to control his they use their data

“Four Google smart home updates that Matter”

1 Like

This statement would mean a huge change in Nest’s openness

Plus, we’ll update the newest Nest Thermostat to support Matter - meaning for the first time it can be controlled on other platforms that have certified with Matter.

1 Like

It will, but only for new kit, but how would it affect operations like this? Would they allow Apilio to control Nest or any other Matter product?

1 Like

From what I understand and read at The Verge, the new devices would locally accept commands from any other participant in Matter protocol format. I guess that doesn’t include the way through the cloud. So Apilio would need to have a way to issue local Matter commands (through our own or another platforms hardware).

And in what might be the biggest piece of news: Google is promising that it’ll update the latest Nest Thermostat to support Matter, meaning users will be able to — in theory — control their A/C and heat setups with other Matter-certified platforms (like Siri or Alexa, pending Apple and Amazon’s own updates). Disappointingly, Google is only making that promise for the entry-level Nest Thermostat, not the more powerful Nest Learning Thermostat (at least for now).

3 Likes