Create an Alexa skill

I think it would be great if you created an Alexa skill that worked with Alexa routines. That way people would have a choice between IFTTT and Alexa routines while still using Apilio.

2 Likes

Hi @red600,
Alexa integration is certainly on our wish list as well! I personally also own an Echo device but I am not using the routines feature.
Can you give an example how you would combine it with Apilio?

1 Like

Echo routines are nearly identical to simple IFTTT applets. For example both IFTTT and Echo routines can turn on lights at sunset. I prefer using echo routines because they have proven to be more reliable and quicker than IFTTT. Here is an example of how I would use it:

1. Echo routine: When ring alarm is set to home update the string variable “alarm_mode” to “home”
  2. Echo routine: When sunset initiate the evaluation of logic block “foo”
  3. Apilio logicblock “foo”: If “alarm_mode”!=“home” then action event “echofoo”
  4. Echo routine “echofoo”: When echo routine receives a “echofoo” event from Apilio then turn on the lights

This way I can prevent the lights from turning on if we go to sleep before sunset during the summer when the sun goes down after our bed time. I use the status of our home security system to adjustthe behavior of our home automation.

2 Likes

Thanks for this example!
I don’t think step 4 is possible with the API that Amazon offers today (but we could trigger the lights via a direct integration or another platform like IFTTT). Step 1 and 2 are probably possible if the Alexa Skills are allowed to be tied into the routines. That’s a step I haven’t researched on yet.

1 Like

Thanks! Apologies for not replying earlier. If the API doesn’t allow direct access to a trigger an event could this be faked by a virtual smart home device sensor in the skill? For example:

1. Echo routine: When ring alarm is set to home update the string variable “alarm_mode” to “home”
  2. Echo routine: When sunset initiate the evaluation of logic block “foo”
  3. Apilio logicblock “foo”: If “alarm_mode”!=“home” then “hello_world” switch is open
  4. Echo routine: When “hello_world switch” opens then do something
1 Like

Oooh this is an awesome use case. Maybe we should add some Alexa stuff next @pebneter :mage: ??

I think I have seen this trick with other services already. To be able to trigger Alexa connected things, they create a fake Alexa connected switch that can be used to trigger a scene.
Not very elegant, but it obviously works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, IFTTTrigger (https://www.amazon.co.uk/mkZense-com-LLC-IFTTTrigger/dp/B08M496VGB) allows you to create “virtual” buttons which can be triggered from IFTTT.

In my case, for example, I have an IFTTTrigger which activates my Roborock robotic vacuum cleaner, which has Alexa integration but not IFTTT integration. As soon a I get out in the morning, IFTTT sends a trigger to Alexa to start Roborock (I don’t want it moving around while I am still at home).

2 Likes

Alexa has been requested once again by a user.

It is a pity that Alexa routines do not include webhooks as actions. That would be the easiest solution.

2 Likes

Voicemonkey has taken the step forward and introduced bunch of interesting features and one of them will be(coming soon) you can hit the web url request from Alexa routines without using ifttt.
That means we will be able to update the variables and can evaluate the logicblock etc directly from Alexa routines :blush:

2 Likes

Great news - Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes