Create an Alexa skill

I think it would be great if you created an Alexa skill that worked with Alexa routines. That way people would have a choice between IFTTT and Alexa routines while still using Apilio.

2 Likes

Hi @red600,
Alexa integration is certainly on our wish list as well! I personally also own an Echo device but I am not using the routines feature.
Can you give an example how you would combine it with Apilio?

1 Like

Echo routines are nearly identical to simple IFTTT applets. For example both IFTTT and Echo routines can turn on lights at sunset. I prefer using echo routines because they have proven to be more reliable and quicker than IFTTT. Here is an example of how I would use it:

1. Echo routine: When ring alarm is set to home update the string variable “alarm_mode” to “home”
  2. Echo routine: When sunset initiate the evaluation of logic block “foo”
  3. Apilio logicblock “foo”: If “alarm_mode”!=“home” then action event “echofoo”
  4. Echo routine “echofoo”: When echo routine receives a “echofoo” event from Apilio then turn on the lights

This way I can prevent the lights from turning on if we go to sleep before sunset during the summer when the sun goes down after our bed time. I use the status of our home security system to adjustthe behavior of our home automation.

2 Likes

Thanks for this example!
I don’t think step 4 is possible with the API that Amazon offers today (but we could trigger the lights via a direct integration or another platform like IFTTT). Step 1 and 2 are probably possible if the Alexa Skills are allowed to be tied into the routines. That’s a step I haven’t researched on yet.

1 Like