Add a time zone selector for time conditions

Currently, the time in time conditions is shown using the timezone of the browser used to access Apilio dashboard, which can be different from device to device and definitely changes when traveling. This makes it confusing to set up /change these conditions. Using the time zone for the location that is set up in the profile may resolve this easily.

1 Like

Hello welcome to the community. You can go into your user profile and manual set your time zone there
So user profile --> Default Personal settings Manage —> default location manage

1 Like

Thank you for a warm welcome.
I don’t know if I wasn’t clear in my message or if you didn’t read it fully, but I specifically was talking about the time that is displayed in the time conditions. That is displayed in the time zone of the browser, not the time zone for the location that is set up in the profile.

1 Like

Yes, you where clear, I did not read it correctly :slight_smile:

1 Like

To be clear how it currently works:

• When saving a time condition, it is saved with a time zone, which is derived from the browsers current time zone
  • The browser time zone usually matches the one of the operating system
  • The location in the map is currently used only to calculate sunrise/sunset

To give the user more flexibility, we could add a separate time zone configuration to the user profile and/or give the option to specify per time condition.

Thank you. The time may be saved with the time zone, but it it is displayed in the same time zone it was saved, even if the browser has a different time zone when viewing/editing without showing that the time zone is different. I know this will likely affect very few people, but I’m one of those few people and it is a major inconvenience for me. I (hopefully will again) travel for work, so my phone is often in different time zones.
Assuming people only control locations in one time zone per profile, associating the location to the default time zone will work well. Otherwise, time zone per condition, as you suggested, will be the best option.

I’ve just been caught by this effect of time zones on the way that Apilio operates.

My automation devices are in the UK, so operate on UK time zones. However, I’m currently visiting the US and my laptop is therefore set to Pacific time. I edited an Apilio time event condition that was working perfectly well, and set using a Cron expression to trigger at a couple of times during the day. However, doing so changed things so that the the events are now set to Pacific time, which is 8 hours different. Not the expected effect!

Such an option would certainly avoid having Conditions potentially all being defined using different time zone settings that cannot be seen when you edit them.

2 Likes