5 Reasons The Smart Home Hub Is Dead

Is he right :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah in lots of ways I think he is. Do I want to use Amazon for home control, er no!

Agreed. especially over Amazon, as he says google have lost ground for not including zigbee in there latest line up

2 Likes

Yes, that I totally agree with. I thought they had built the capacity into their latest hub but no news yet! Maybe it’s a stealth approach by Google :thinking:?

The Hub is not dead… Iook at Wink look at the other ones… We may wish we had a perfect system but we don’t. I do believe eventually there will be like 2-4 leaders.

2 Likes

I think its more of the hub is dead as a standalone unit. Like Alexa they have put Zigbee within the speaker

I mostly agree with him, except for the statement about Google not in the game anymore. There seem to be engaged a lot in the Thread standard (e.g. https://openthread.io) and I would bet that Google will bring Thread-enabled devices soon.
My guess it that mainstream will not have an extra hub anymore. They will just use Amazon/Apple/Google hardware with built-in local radio to connect and control the ordinary devices (light, sockets etc.).

2 Likes

The interesting question is what is going to happen with products that provide more than just plain commodities. The likes of Netatmo, Tado, Philips Hue. They now provide more than just basic features and need a way to provide that value also in the future, otherwise the loose the price war.
What will they need going forward? An App, a Hub, a Cloud part?

1 Like

Later on, when Thread becomes ubiquitous (e.g. included for free WiFi routers), probably WiFi-based smart home products will also disappear.

3 Likes